What is BOTOX Cosmetic?
BOTOX Cosmetic is a natural purified protein; a medication that has been used to treat various disorders related to muscle hyperactivity and spasm.
BOTOX Cosmetic injections are an effective treatment of facial lines and wrinkles; they work by relaxing the small muscles between the brow, in the forehead, and at the corners of the eyes.
How does BOTOX work?
Lines and wrinkles are caused by overactive facial muscles.BOTOX Cosmetic works intramuscular, blocking the chemicals that cause facial muscles to contract, thereby relaxing them.
What is the BOTOX Cosmetic treatment like?
- It is a simple 10 minute treatment that consists of a few tiny injections.
- The treatments are not painful but have been compared to the sensation of a bug bite. Overall, the discomfort is minimal and temporary.
- Your treatment provider may or may not numb the areas to be injected with cold packs.
When will I start to see results?
- You should start to see improvement of lines and wrinkles within a few days and will continue to improve for up to a week.
How long will the results last?
- The effects of BOTOX Cosmetic can last up to four months.
How much BOTOX Cosmetic will I need?
- The effect of BOTOX Cosmetic is related to the amount injected, and the amount of muscle through which it must be distributed.
- The amount of muscle in an area will vary from person to person, therefore some people may require more BOTOX than others.
- When recommending BOTOX Cosmetic, we recommend the average amount that works for most people. However some people may require more depending on the amount of muscle.
- As each client is unique and have different concerns, BOTOX Cosmetic treatment should be tailored to the individual’s needs. Each client will be specially evaluated to determine an individual injection protocol that will be evaluated and adjusted at subsequent visits for optimal results.
What are the potential side effects of receiving BOTOX Cosmetic?
- The most common side effects are headache, respiratory infection, flu syndrome, temporary eyelid droop, and nausea.
- Less frequently occurring (< 3%) adverse reactions include pain in the face, erythema at the injection site, and muscle weakness.
Additional information about BOTOX Cosmetic:
- Current evidence suggest that repeated injections of BOTOX Cosmetic may ultimately lead to longer lasting results.
Recommendations after receiving BOTOX Cosmetic treatments:
- No rigorous sports activities, hair appointments, facials, massage or any activities that require having your head down or laying down for at least 4-5 hours after treatment.
- Drinking alcohol immediately before or after BOTOX Cosmetic injections is not advised. Alcohol can cause vasodilatation, which allows the migration of BOTOX Cosmetic to other areas and may cause relaxation of unintended muscles.
Call today for an appointment!